REJOINDER/RESPONSE TO NATIONAL LOTTERY REGULATORY COMMISSION’S PUBLICATION
- The Lagos State Lotteries Board’s (LSLB) attention has been drawn to the recent publication of National Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC) captioned ‘FG Clarifies Issues on National Lottery Licence‘ in the Vanguard Newspaper publication of 30 April, 2020.
- The 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) remains the grundnorm upon which other existing laws rest and specifically grants State Government jurisdiction over lotteries, gaming and related matters in Nigeria. Thus, the powers of NLRC to regulate gaming activities in the States by virtue of National Lottery Act, 2005 (as amended) is unfounded and unconstitutional.
- LSLB maintains its position that the Federal Government only has the powers to legislate on matters in the exclusive and concurrent legislative list and gaming does not fall within the items stated in both lists. In addition, Part II, Section 5, Taxes and Levies (Approved List for Collection) Act, Cap T2 Laws of Federation of Nigeria explicitly empowers the State Government to collect tax in lotteries, pool, gaming and other related matters.
- NLRC’s assertions therefore that “States cannot blacklist unlicenced gaming holders within the National licence” and that “NLRC is the apex regulator of lotteries and gaming in Nigeria” is ultra vires the Constitution.
- The general public in Lagos State is hereby advised to note that gaming (online and retail), lotteries and other related matters falls within the purview of the State Government only and NOT the Federal Government.
- LSLB reiterates its position that the following organizations are unlicensed to conduct gaming activities in Lagos State:
BETFARM, CHOPBARH, KONFAM BET, MEGABET, MELBET, HAMABET, BET365, BETWINNER, KORETBET, BET24, GIVE ‘N’ TAKE, RICHWELL LOTTO, NAIRAWIN, EBONYBET, QUICKLOTTO, CHASELOTTO, CLOUDBET, NAIJABET, TRUTHWARE SOLUTIONS LIMITED (TRUGAMES/ZOOMLIFESTYLE), MSPORT.
- LSLB advises the general public in Lagos State to refrain and desist from playing any related game from these organizations. We implore the public to visit our website www.lslb.lg.gov.ng to view the list of LSLB’s licenced operators in Lagos State.
- The Lagos State Lotteries Board is committed to eradicate all forms of illegal gaming operations in the Lagos State and would not hesitate to enforce against the unlicensed gaming operators.