- When was Lagos State Lotteries Board (LSLB) established?
Ans: LSLB was established in 2005 following the enactment of the Lagos State Lotteries Law 2004. The Law was amended in 2008, a copy of the Lagos State Lotteries Law (as amended) can be downloaded from the LSLB website. Click to download.
- Why was the Lagos State Lotteries Board (LSLB) created?
Ans: LSLB was established to regulate games of chance by whatever name called in Lagos State. LSLB’s functions are regulatory in nature and these are highlighted in Section 9 of the Lagos State Lotteries (Amendment) Law 2008
- Does LSLB regulate all games of chance?
Ans: Yes. LSLB is the sole regulator of games of chance in Lagos State. Such games includes public online lottery, online sports betting, scratch cards & interactive games, ‘other games’, casino, gaming machines, pools betting, ‘other lotteries’ etc
- What do I do to conduct a game of chance in Lagos State?
Ans: To conduct a game of chance in Lagos State, you must first apply for and obtain a licence from LSLB
- What are the requirements for a licence?
Ans: The requirements to obtain a licence for games of chance regulated by LSLB can be found on LSLB’s website: www.lslb.lg.gov.ng for further information on requirements, the email for each category is highlighted below:Public online lottery:
firstname.lastname@example.orgOnline sports betting:
email@example.comPromotional competitions & other lotteries:
firstname.lastname@example.orgScratch cards & interactive games:
- Where can I apply for a licence?
Ans: Written application for any category of licence should be addressed and sent to:The Chief Executive OfficerLagos State Lotteries Board
Irorun Plaza (5th floor)
65, Kudirat Abiola Way, Oregun,
- Who can apply for a gaming licence?
Ans: A company duly incorporated in Nigeria that satisfies the statutory conditions and requirements for the interested gaming licence category. The requirements for the various categories of lottery licence can be found on our website.
- Is LSLB also a gaming operator?
Ans: No, LSLB is not a gaming operator
- What is Lagos State Lottery Licence?
Ans: The Lagos State Lottery licence is an exclusive ’Lagos State branded’ granted to a private organization to conduct public online lottery activities within Lagos State. The Lagos State Lottery licencee operates independent of LSLB or the State Government. The holder of the licence observes similar conditions as other public online lottery operators.
- What is ‘Other Lotteries’?
Ans: ‘Other lotteries’ includes private lotteries, charitable lotteries, society lotteries and promotional competitions. These are lotteries that involve the payment or delivery of any money, goods, article, matter or thing, including any ticket, coupon or entry form for the right to compete in a draw.
- Do charitable organisations require a lottery licence when conducting raffle draws?
Ans: All organisations conducting activities that involve raffles or element of chance to promote goods and services or a ‘cause’ in Lagos State are required to register with LSLB prior to commencing such activity. Therefore a licence must be obtained from Lagos State Lotteries Board to conduct charitable lotteries in Lagos State. For more information, please visit (direct link to other lotteries’ page on the website).
- Does LSLB regulate pools betting, casino and slot machines?
Ans: Yes, LSLB regulates all games of chance, including pools betting, casino and slot machines.
- How long is the application process?
Ans: The duration usually depends on the licence category applied for. For ‘other lotteries’ (promotional competitions, private, society and charitable lotteries), LSLB requires a minimum of 10 (Ten) working days to appraise the application. The due diligence and appraisal process for other licence categories usually takes an average of 4 (Four).
- What is the duration of licences granted by LSLB?
Ans: The duration of licences issued by LSLB is 12 (Twelve) months, except for public online lottery which is for a term of 5 (Five) years.
- How do I recognise operators licenced in Lagos State?
Ans: It is mandatory for all Lagos State licencees to display a copy of their respective licence at all retail outlets. The status of an operator can also be verified from the list of operators published on LSLB website. If you are unsure of the status of an operator or suspect that such operator is illegal, please report to LSLB on +234 808 052 5752 or via our customer complaint channel lslbcms.com/complaint for investigation and further action.
- Does LSLB generate revenue?
Ans: Yes, LSLB is a revenue generating agency for Lagos State – although its core function is regulatory. LSLB generates revenue from licence fee and taxes on gaming transactions carried out within the State.
- What is the revenue generated by LSLB used for?
Ans: As specified by the Lagos State Lotteries Law (as amended), and in line with global best practice, the revenue generated by LSLB is applied to ‘good causes’ objectives in Lagos State. The Law provides that revenue generated by LSLB shall be paid into the Lagos State Distribution Trust Fund (DTF) and held in trust for the ‘good causes’ objectives.
- What are ‘good causes’ objectives?
Ans: Good causes objectives are projects or grants for the development of the following sectors: Infrastructure; Education; Environment; Social & Health
- How does LSLB protect the interest of player?
Ans: As part of its regulatory functions, LSLB addresses complaints and petitions from players and the general public. Any grievance stemming from gaming activities in Lagos State should be reported to LSLB for redress. lslbcms.com/complaint
- What is the grievance resolution procedure?
Ans: Upon notification of grievance or petitions on any gaming related issue, LSLB will investigate the reports and where necessary invite the disputing parties for amicable resolution. Grievances are usually resolved within 14 (Fourteen) working days.Petitions and complaints may be sent to LSLB by email or letters to our office.For further information, please contact us as follows:
Call: +2348149906555, 08080525752
- Do I still need to obtain a licence from LSLB to operate in Lagos State if I have a Federal gaming licence or licence from another State?
Ans: Yes. Any gaming operator that intends operating in Lagos State must obtain a licence from LSLB regardless of any licence/permit previously obtained from any other agency.
- What aspect of an operator’s income is Good Causes Money (GCM) derived from? Is it based on all streams of Operators’ income?
Ans: GCM is a percentage of an Operator’s sales turnover from gaming activities conducted in Lagos State. It is based on sales from gaming activities and not all streams of the operator’s income.
- Are other taxes payable to LSLB apart from monthly Good Causes Money?
Ans: No, upon obtaining approval to operate, licencees are only expected to pay licence fee and GCM to LSLB.
- Is licence renewal automatic?
Ans: Renewal is not automatic but subject to satisfactory performance and compliance with Terms & Conditions of licence.
- What is the required local content for predominantly foreign owned gaming licence applicants?
Ans: In line with our policy, at least 15% of shares in predominantly foreign owned companies must be held by Nigerians.
- How much capital is sufficient to show evidence of financial capability to set up gaming operations in Lagos State?
Ans: LSLB does not require a fixed sum as evidence of financial capability. Applicants must show sufficient funds to cover licence fee, set up costs, winnings and other operational expenses.
- Are non-resident directors required to submit tax clearance certificate?
Ans: Yes, Directors domiciled outside the state or country should provide tax clearance certificate from respective states or countries of domicile.
- Do public online lottery and online sports betting licences only cover specific distribution channels?
Ans: LSLB’s licence covers all distribution channels the operator intends to deploy, provided the system is automated.
- Is a newly registered company expected to provide bank statement for 1 year and management account?
Ans: The requirement for 1 (One) year bank statement and management account does not apply to newly registered companies or companies that have traded less than a year to the date of application.
- Are draws conducted for Public Online Lottery by LSLB?
Ans: No, draws are conducted independently in-house by respective operators.
- Does LSLB decide technical service providers for all operators?
Ans: No, operators are at liberty to choose technical service providers; however, the technical platform must be verified and tested for compatibility and suitability for Lagos State Gaming industry.
- Do I have to obtain a licence for each promo?
Ans: a promo licence is for a duration of 12 months (1 year). An organization with valid licence will be required to pay the sum of N25, 000 per draw/prize presentation held on each of its promo.
- Does ‘other lotteries’ licence obtained from LSLB cover promos outside Lagos State?
Ans: No, LSLB’s licence is limited to promos conducted within Lagos State.
- If I have a federal licence to conduct promo, do I still need to obtain licence from LSLB?
Ans: All promotional competitions conducted within Lagos State must be registered with LSLB.
- Does Instant Win qualify as promotional competition?
Ans: If there is an element of chance i.e. if not all participants will emerge winners, it qualifies for registration as a promotional competition.
- According to interpretation on fees section of Other Lotteries, does it imply that the sum payable for promo is N575, 000 only?
Ans: Applicable fee varies based on modalities of each promo and frequency of draw. The registration fee is a one-time payment of N50,000 by corporate entities while the licence fee of N500, 000.00 is for 12 months (1 year) duration. This allows organisation to conduct as many promos as possible during the year. The draw levy of N25, 000.00 varies based on the numbers of draw/winner selection process of an applicant.
- Is draw levy based on physical appearance of LSLB officials at the draw?
Ans: No, draw levy is a requirement of section 52(b) of the Lagos State Lotteries Law 2004 which is charged based on numbers of draws conducted within the State.
- Can promotional licence be granted to a non – limited liability company?
Ans: No. a fundamental requirement is for promo applicant to be duly incorporated as a limited liability company.
- Does LSLB attend promo draw?
Ans: Yes, However, LSLB requires at least 48hours notice prior to the date of the draw.
- Can application for promo be sent through email?
Ans: For proper documentation and record purposes, promo applicant must submit hard copies of the requirement documents.For further information, please contact us as follows:
Call: +2348149906555, 08080525752